BPWH is teaming up with Dria Love Co. this week to curate a mindful yoga infused hike that will REFOCUS your spirit! This Sunday April 25th we will be hiking a 3 mile trail at Hawn State Park which is another gem tucked away within the state of Missouri. This park has luscious forest, flowing streams, ancient boulders and a sandstone canyon. Dria Jackson of Dria Love Co is a certified yoga instructor and will be incorporating two OPTIONAL yoga flows within the hike.
*breakfast is complimentary with registration and we will be filming a portion of our Black People Who Hike Documentary Series.
- What to expect: We meet up at 9am to check in, (ALL attendees must check in). At 9:15am a welcome will follow with a yoga stretch flow beginning at 9:30am sharp. At 9:45am we will conclude with last minute mentions and start hiking immediately after. We will hike about 1 mile in to a gorgeous stream. At this point Dria will lead us into a mindful grounding mediation which is optional, but we will hang out at the stream for about 20 minutes. A little ways further is a canyon we will visit. The hike in total will be about 3 miles and will conclude no later than 12:30pm.
- Yoga: Yoga is optional and a yoga mat is not needed. The first yoga flow will take place before the hike and will have a focus on stretching and setting a positive intention for the hike. The 2nd yoga flow will be midway through the hike and will take place along the water. It will focus on grounding and re-centering on your intention.
- About Dria Love Co.: Yoga will be guided by the amazing Dria Jackson. Dria’s yoga journey began in 2016 and she received her yoga certification in 2019. She is passionate about health and wellness and is currently studying to be a personal trainer. Dria Love Co offers not only yoga, but skin care products and services aimed at improving the health and wellness of the mind, body and soul.
- Registration: All attendees are required to register. Everything included with this hike is complementary, but donations are encouraged.
- What to wear/pack: water, breathable athletic clothes (later up, avoiding cotton with the first layer), a jacket or sweatshirt, a backpack to hold all of your belongings, hiking boots or shoes with good traction -NO VANS, a hat, a mask, Rain jacket or emergency poncho, water shoes (optional), Your favorite plant-based snack: fresh fruit, nuts, granola bars etc (optional as food will be provided)
- Location: Hawn State Park. Approximately 70 minute drive from downtown St. Louis. The exact location will be provided upon registering. Please look the location up the night before and allow yourself plenty of time to get there!
- Time: Meetup at 9am. If you are late it is your responsibility to catch up to the group. We will not hold the group up. The drive is far. Please plan accordingly with timing.
- Waivers: Everyone must sign a waiver. If you have not already signed BOTH our Covid Waiver and Liability Waiver please do so before arriving to help speed up the checkin process. Click here for the covid waiver https://forms.gle/ZueeExgTZGLK6H227 . Click here for the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/ynnxanLFjfJzgkr96 .
- Level of Expertise: This is a beginner to moderate hike however proper shoes are highly recommended. There are some areas that we will be hiking with slippery rock and shoes with good traction and ankle support are needed. No flat shoes such as vans.
- Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers
- Weather: This event is rain or shine. The weather is predicted to be sunny with a high of 68 and low of 48 degrees.
- Lunch: Breakfast is catered and complimentary with registration.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.
Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites
12096 Park Dr
Ste. Genevieve, Missouri 63670, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sun, Apr 25, 2021, 9:00 am - 12:30 pm CT