BPWH is inviting you to RECLAIM your space in the outdoors.
When you think of the outdoors and nature it is often associated with white men and women hiking or camping. If you look at outdoor magazines and environmental organizations, there is a significant lack of representation of people from the Black Community. This lack of representation has led to much of our community to feeling like these wild spaces do not belong to us.
These spaces are healing and they DO belong to us. We can not let history define our livelihood and happiness; it is time that we RECLAIM this space and the healing that is rightfully ours.
This Sunday, July 25th we invite you to join us for a hike at Pere Maquette State Park followed by a Kickback at Raging Rivers Waterpark!
- The Hike: We will be hiking a 4 mile trail at Pere Marquette State Park. The trail is considered moderate and includes a mix of inclines, declines and a gorgeous view overlooking the Illinois River.
- Time: Meet up at Pere Marquette at 8:30am to hike. Welcome and Hike starts promptly at 9am. If you are late it is your responsibility to catch up to the group. We will not hold the group up. Please plan accordingly with timing. (Kickback starts at 1pm at Raging Rivers Waterpark.)
- Location: Pere Marquette State Park, Grafton IL. It is approximately a 40 minute drive outside of St. Louis. The exact trail head will be provided upon registration.
- Level of Expertise: This is a moderate hike, but does include a decent amount of hills. We will be hiking on rocks and shoes with good traction and ankle support are needed. No flat shoes such as vans.
- What to Wear/Pack: water, breathable athletic clothes (later up, avoiding cotton with the first layer), a jacket or sweatshirt, a backpack to hold all of your belongings, hiking boots or shoes with good traction -NO VANS, a hat, a mask, Rain jacket or emergency poncho (optional), Your favorite plant-based snack: fresh fruit, nuts, granola bars etc. An extra change of clothes and shoes to leave in your car. A swimsuit, towel and sunscreen.
- What to expect: We meet up at 8:30 am to check in, followed by introductions and a brief orientation. Promptly at 9:00am we will begin our to 4 mile hike. During the hike we will hangout, encourage mindful practices, take photos and enjoy our snacks. The hike will conclude around 12:30pm.
- The KickBack: Meet up at 1pm at Raging Rivers Waterpark in Grafton, IL. Raging Rivers is a sprawling riverside spot with numerous pools, flumes, rafting & slides plus cabanas, stages & eats. The location is 10 minutes from Pere Marquette and we will be heading over there directly afterwards. Admission is $35.05 and it is suggested that you bring your lunch or additional money for lunch. You will will also want to bring a swimsuit, goggles, towel, sunscreen, water resistant bag, water resistant camera and insulated water bottle.
- Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers
- Weather: The weather is predicted to be a high 95 and cloudy and a low of 75.
- Lunch: Light refreshments will be provided but you are encouraged to pack your own favorite snacks and bring your lunch. Remember: It is important to eat light while hiking.
- Registration: All attendees are required to register. Everything included with this hike is complementary, but donations are encouraged.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.
Pere Marquette State Park
13112 Visitor Center Ln
Grafton, Illinois 62037, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sun, Jul 25, 2021, 8:30 am - 1:00 pm CT