Join us and hike through history on Sunday December 5th. The Olin Nature Preserve is said to be a place where slaves would have hiked the underground railroad in search of freedom in Godfrey, IL. This park even holds a waterfall monument dedicated to all of the brave men and women who risked everything in search of a better life. Hike with us as we honor our ancestors and give thanks for the freedom and courage they have given us all.
Sunday, December 5th we will be hiking OLIN NATURE PRESERVE BEAVER TRAIL. This is a 2.3 mile loop trail located in Godfrey,IL.
- What to expect: We meet up at 9am to check in, followed by introductions and a brief orientation, introductions, and stretch. The trail we will be hiking is 2.3 mile trail that is rated moderate. The elevation gain is 311 feet. The hike should take about 2 hours with stops.
- Registration: All attendees are required to register. Everything included with this hike is complimentary, but donations are encouraged.
- What to wear/pack: water, breathable athletic clothes (layer up, avoiding cotton), a jacket or sweatshirt, a backpack to hold all of your belongings, hiking boots or shoes with good traction -NO VANS, a hat, a mask, Rain jacket or emergency poncho (optional), Your favorite plant-based snack: fresh fruit, nuts, granola bars etc. Be sure to LAYER UP!
- Location: OLIN NATURE PRESERVE BEAVER TRAIL . Please download the All Trails App and type in OLIN NATURE PRESERVE BEAVER TRAIL for the exact meetup location. This hike is located approximately 46 minutes outside of St. Louis. The exact location will be provided upon registering. Please look the location up the night before and allow yourself plenty of time to get there!
- Time: Meetup at 9am. If you are late it is your responsibility to catch up to the group. We will not hold the group up. The drive is far. Please plan accordingly with timing.
- Level of Expertise: This is a moderate hike and proper shoes are highly recommended. We will be hiking on rocks and shoes with good traction and ankle support are needed. No flat shoes such as vans.
- Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk-ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers
- Waivers: Everyone must sign a waiver. If you have not already signed BOTH our Covid Waiver and Liability Waiver please do so before arriving to help speed up the checkin process. Click here for the covid waiver https://forms.gle/ZueeExgTZGLK6H227 . Click here for the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/ynnxanLFjfJzgkr96 .
- Weather: This event is rain or shine. The weather is predicted to be sunny with a high of 61 and low of 36 degrees with a chance of rain. Please bring a rain jacket just in case.
- Lunch: Please make sure to pack healthy snacks for the hike. Snacks are a critical part of our diet. We will be burning calories along the way so snacks are a great way to keep your engine running.
- About:OLIN NATURE PRESERVE BEAVER TRAIL The Olin Nature Preserve overlooks the Mississippi River atop steep limestone bluffs. Unique geological features of karst topography including sinkholes, ravines, and bedrock outcrops can be found on the preserve. Visitors will also discover small streams, a waterfall, upland forest, and hill prairies.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.