This week is National Park Week and we are celebrating with an Urban hike at the Gateway Arch National Park this Sunday April 24th at 8:30AM!
A lot of us St Louisans have not been inside of the Arch since we were children. Well, let me tell you… the place has changed. The Gateway Arch has benefited from about 13 millions dollars in renovations and is truly a gem.
The National Park Service(NPS) has introduced a new way to experience Missouri’s beloved treasures – our national parks – with the National Park Service Wellness Challenge. The NPS Wellness Challenge promotes the unique health resources that are found in national park sites across the country, and asks visitors to participate in physical, mental and learning wellness activities.
For more info on the Wellness Challenge activities we will be completing please visit: https://www.nps.gov/articles/000/nps-wellness-challenge-at-gateway-arch.htm/index.htm
This is a relatively easy, short family friendly hike in the heart of downtown St. Louis. The arch grounds will also hold awesome optional B.A.R.K Ranger events for your four legged fluffy friends this Sunday. Join us and help us represent for our city at a National Park in our very own back yard. Sunday calls for rain but don’t let that stop you from experiencing a St. Louis National Park BPWH style . A chunk of our activities will be indoors including a Free Tram ride to the top of the Arch.
For more info on the B.A.R.K Ranger activities for your pet please visit: https://www.gatewayarch.com/event/2022-national-park-week-b-a-r-k-ranger-event/
If you plan on bringing your pet please know that your pet will not be allowed inside of the actual museum. You will have to make arrangements for your pet if you plan on entering the museum.
meet: meet directly under the arch at 8:30:AM. Address: The Gateway Arch, 11 N 4th St, St Louis. Upon arrival please look for BPWH leaders to check in!
- Parking: You can park on the landing in one of their paid lots (cost $5) OR park at ballpark village self parking (the first 3 hours are free before 9pm, 1 mile walk to the arch) or try parking downtown on Market or Chestnut along the street in metered parking areas and walk down to the arch.
- The hike: Did you know the Arch Grounds is a National Park?! We will be hiking 2 miles around the newly renovated arch grounds park and make our way past the graffiti wall down by the waterfront for some dope pictures!
- The Arch: We will get a guided Ranger tour through the Museum and the first 45 people to register will receive a free tram ride to the top of the arch. Face masks are required while in the tram.
- Registration: All attendees are required to register. Continue below to register
- What to wear/pack: water, breathable athletic clothes (later up, avoiding cotton with the first layer), a jacket or sweatshirt, and a good pair of sneakers or hiking shoes. Bring water and any snacks you would like. Depending you may want a backpack to carry your belongings
- Time: Meetup at 8:30am. We will start the hike promptly at 9:00am and conclude by 1:30PM.
- Level of Expertise: This is a beginner urban hike and great for all ages and levels of hikers.
- Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers. Masks are required on the tram ride
- Weather: This event is rain or shine. The weather is predicted to be sunny with a high of 76 and low of 59 degrees rain is expected.
- Waivers: all attendees will need to sign both of these waivers. Click here to sign covid waiver https://forms.gle/roCHbRr2jcFLyvkf6
Click here to sign the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/nB2GNWhNsZiPUxmh6
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.
National Park Service
11 N 4th St
St. Louis, Missouri 63102, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sun, Apr 24, 2022, 8:30 am - 1:30 pm CT