Join us This Sunday August 1st for our first Learn to Kayak in partnership with Missouri State Parks. This is a very unique event as we will be hiking a short trail followed by a learn to kayak clinic.
This is a family friendly event and great for anyone new to kayaking or looking to sharpen up their skills. The skills you learn Sunday will prepare you to join us on the river later this month. Join us and step out of your comfort zone!
What You Need to Know
- Location: Finger Lake State Park, Columbia, MO
- This is a free family friendly event
- Kayaking instruction will be taught by certified instructors in partnership with Missouri State Parks
- Transportation via bus is provided to Finger Lake State Park free of charge
- Meet us at the Walmart parking lot located at 11900 Saint Charles Rock Rd, Bridgeton, MO 63044 at 8:20am where you will park your car or get dropped off
- The bus leaves St. Louis promptly at 8:45am
- The event is from 11am-4pm
- We will be hiking a scenic 2 mile trail which includes a water crossing
- After the hike will break for lunch which will be provided at no cost. (Please let us know if you have any allergies)
- Following lunch Missouri State Parks certified instructors will lead a 2 hour kayaking clinic.
- Life jackets, kayaks and paddles will be provided.
- The kayaking clinic will include how to properly wear and fit a life vest, safety on the water, basic paddling instruction
- You do NOT need to know how to swim to attend as long as you are comfortable getting on the water. The clinic will be demonstrated on the calm waters of Finger Lake. Everyone will have a safety vest on and certified professionals will be present.
- If you have never kayaked, we highly encourage you to come out and try something new!
- Masks are required to be worn on the bus and strict social distancing policies will be followed.
- The event will conclude at 4:00pm and the bus will depart no later than 4:30pm
- The bus will drop you back off at Walmart at 6:30pm
- Everyone must register
- Everyone must complete two electronic waivers ahead of time. One is a covid waiver stating that you and no one is your household is sick and has been sick within last 14 days and the other is a Liability waiver that releases us of any liability. (If you have signed either before you do not need to resign it.) Click here for the covid waiver https://forms.gle/ZueeExgTZGLK6H227 . Click here for the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/ynnxanLFjfJzgkr96 .
- This event is limited to 30 people. Once registration is full a waitlist option will be available. We will contact you Saturday by 5pm to confirm your spot and any available spots will go first come first serve to the waitlist.
What to Wear
- Breathable athletic clothes (avoid wearing cotton)
- old sneakers that you don’t mind getting dirty or wet
- Waterproof phone case or bag (not required)
- A hat
- Tall socks to hike in
What to bring
- Bug spray
- Water in an insulated bottle recommended
- Waterproof phone case/bag (not required)
- Change of clothes
- Bag to carry your belongings (waterproof recommended)
*Disclaimer: Blackpeoplewhohike is not an event organizing company and assumes no liability for your safety. Upon registration you will receive a waiver emailed to you stating such.*Disclaimer: Blackpeoplewhohike is not an event organizing company and assumes no liability for your safety. Upon registration you will receive a waiver emailed to you stating such.
Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites
1505 E Peabody Rd
Hallsville, Missouri 65202, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sun, Aug 1, 2021, 8:30 am - 8:30 pm CT