Join us This Sunday, August 29th as we Kayak the Big River! You will have the option to Kayak a 3 mile or 7-mile float. This can be a great trip for both skilled and new kayakers.
Meet up: We meet up at 8:00am at Macys parking lot at the South County Mall. The address is 10 S County Center Way, St. Louis 63129. The bus leaves at 8:15am.
If you decide to drive your personal vehicle please arrive to Washington State Park (13041 MO-104 De Soto, MO 63020) no later than 9:15am.
- 8:00am Arrive at Macys to get on the bus
- 8:15am depart
- 9:15am Arrive at Washington State Park and checkin
- 9:45am Welcome/water safety
- 10:15am We get on a shuttle bus at the park to drive us to the water
- 10:30am kayak
- 3:00pm-5:00pm conclude depending on which float you choose (3 mile or 7 mile- the bus will make two trips back to Macy’s )
Registration: All attendees are required to register.
kayaks and life jackets are included
- Expectations: We will be kayaking in moving water along the Big River. The water level is very low right now. There are a lot of areas where you be able to stand up, (some areas we may have to pull the boat even) but there may be other areas that are deeper where the water is flowing more rapidly. We ask that all members who register have either kayaked before or know how to swim.
- What to wear: breathable athletic or swim clothes or combination of both. A hat, sun glasses and water shoes or old sneakers
- What to bring:
- A bag (Waterproof bag recommended) which should include a jacket or poncho, reusable water bottle, sunscreen, bug spray, bungee cords, dry snacks, waterproof speaker (optional), go pro or waterproof camera (optional). You will want to leave your phone in the car, on the bus or have a waterproof case for it.
- A small Cooler which should include water, snacks and lunch. You will be on the river for 3-6 hours and food is 100% necessary. Recommended snacks include fruit, nuts, granola bars. Recommended lunch includes sandwiches or wraps. no glass bottles. BYOB food and drinks
- To leave on the bus or in your car: a change of clothes and shoes, towel and lotion/oil.
- Personal items: All items on your kayak should be clipped together with carabiners (clips). Don’t bring anything with you that you wouldn’t want to lose. Also don’t bring anything with you that you aren’t ok with it getting wet. If you have a waterproof bag it is highly recommended. If you are not driving, leave your keys in someone else’s car or on the bus. It is very possible that you may flip and and all of your belongings can be carried down river if not connected to kayak.
- Waivers: Everyone must sign a waiver. If you have not already signed BOTH our Covid Waiver and Liability Waiver please do so before arriving to help speed up the checkin process. Click here for the covid waiver https://forms.gle/ZueeExgTZGLK6H227 . Click here for the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/ynnxanLFjfJzgkr96 .
- Lunch: You will want to pack your own lunch as it will be a long day and you will get hungry. Great things to pack include water, fruit, nuts, granola bars, chips, sandwiches and wraps. no glass bottles. You will want to bring a small personal cooler to keep your food cool.
- The Bus: The bus will leave at 8:30am sharp from Macys parking lot (10 S County Center Way St. Louis, MO 63129.). The bus will make 2 trips back to Macys that afternoon/evening. People who chose the 3 mile float can expect make it back to the Macys closer to 4pm where as people who chose the 7 mile trip can plan to make it back to Macys closer to 6pm
To join us register as a kayaker and pay $23.00 kayak fee (NO REFUNDS) RAIN OR SHINE EVENT. We will reschedule if the weather calls for T-Storms.
This is a limited to the first 30 people to register.
Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers
Weather: This event is RAIN OR SHINE. The weather in De Soto, MO is predicted to be 90 degrees and sunny. Although rain is not predicted please come prepared for the chance of rain. Bring a rain jacket or poncho, water proof boots or shoes that you don’t mind getting wet, and an extra pair of clothes and shoes to change into afterwards.
About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.
Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites
13041 State Highway 104
De Soto, Missouri 63020, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sun, Aug 29, 2021, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm CT