Sometimes you just have to FALL BACK from everything and get your mind right! This Sunday practice your FALL BACK game with BPWH. With the cooling temps and changing colors fall is a great time to be on the trails. Being in nature will definitely help you find your inner peace and forget the stressors of everyday life. Spending quality time outdoors reduces stress, calms anxiety, and can lead to a lower risk of depression.
Sunday, November 7th we will be hiking Salt Lick Trail, a BPWH favorite. This is a 5.8 mile loop trail located near Valmeyer, IL.
- What to expect: We meet up at 9am to check in, followed by introductions and a brief orientation, introductions, and stretch. The trail we will be hiking is 5.8 mile trail that is rated moderate. The elevation gain is 1131 feet. The hike should take about 3-4 hours with stops.
- Registration: All attendees are required to register. Everything included with this hike is complimentary, but donations are encouraged.
- What to wear/pack: water, breathable athletic clothes (layer up, avoiding cotton with the first layer), a jacket or sweatshirt, a backpack to hold all of your belongings, hiking boots or shoes with good traction -NO VANS, a hat, a mask, Rain jacket or emergency poncho (optional), Your favorite plant-based snack: fresh fruit, nuts, granola bars etc (optional as food will be provided). Be sure to LAYER UP!
- Location: Salt Lick Trail and Johnson Trail Loop . Please download the All Trails App and type in Salt Lick Trail and Johnson Trail Loop for the exact meetup location. This hike is located approximately 40-minute drive outside of St. Louis. The exact location will be provided upon registering. Please look the location up the night before and allow yourself plenty of time to get there!
- Time: Meetup at 9am. If you are late it is your responsibility to catch up to the group. We will not hold the group up. The drive is far. Please plan accordingly with timing.
- Level of Expertise: This is a moderate hike and proper shoes are highly recommended. We will be hiking on rocks and shoes with good traction and ankle support are needed. No flat shoes such as vans.
- Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk-ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers
- Waivers: Everyone must sign a waiver. If you have not already signed BOTH our Covid Waiver and Liability Waiver please do so before arriving to help speed up the checkin process. Click here for the covid waiver https://forms.gle/ZueeExgTZGLK6H227 . Click here for the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/ynnxanLFjfJzgkr96 .
- Weather: This event is rain or shine. The weather is predicted to be sunny with a high of 62 degrees.
- Lunch: Please make sure to pack healthy snacks for the hike. Snacks are a critical part of our diet. We will be burning calories along the way so snacks are a great way to keep your engine running.
- About Salt Lick Point Land and Water Reserve: Salt Lick Point Land and Water Reserve is a 600+ acre site owned by the city of Valmeyer. The reserve protects flag land forests with providing a critical habitat for unique hill praises and glades.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.
Salt lick trail
1309 limestone lane
Valmeyer, Illinois 62295, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sun, Nov 7, 2021, 9:00 am - 2:00 pm CT