Nature can be an outlet to so many and now is a greater time than ever. Keeping some physical distance from each other right now is important but there is no need to shut ourselves in . As our friends at AllTrails said, the outdoors is still open for business!
While practicing social distancing, this Sunday we are offering a safe but intimate hike. We will host hikes in small groups of 10 allowing for a safe but much needed time to get outside and take in everything that nature has to offer. We have 3 different time slots available:
- Meetup at 8:30am, hike at 8:55am
- Meetup at 9:00am, hike at 9:25am
- Meetup at 9:30am, hike at 10am
Lunch is catered to order by Original Family Smoke House and includes a plant based chicken philly cheesesteak sandwich with a side of smokey baked beans and a side of greens. When registering if you want lunch you will need to add that on as a separate selection. For instance if you are attending the 8:30am hike and want lunch you will add “Meetup 8:30am ” and “add on lunch” to your cart to register.
Hiking is purely donation based. Any monetary amount donated goes to helping the organization with providing snacks, drinks, marketing, administration expenses and allowing us to push forward the #wehiketoo movement through weekly hikes! Donations can be made $Cashapp to $blackpeoplewhohike or here through the ticketing registration.
Continue reading for everything you need to know about our hike for Sunday!
- Our Hike: The trail we will be hiking is 5.8 mile trail that is rated moderate. The elevation gain is 1131 feet. The hike should take about 3-4 hours with stops.
- Meet Up: at Salt Lick Point Nature Reserve. The exact meetup location will only be emailed out Saturday morning to everyone that has registered. Please continue below to register.
- Social Distancing: Each group will be limited to 10 people. We recommend everyone keeping a comfortable distance during the hike. Hikes will begin on time to limit crowding. Gatherings of more than 10 people will not be allowed. We will not be accepting walkups.
- Agenda: Three Meetup times: Meetup 8:30am, commence hike at 8:55am. Meetup at 9:00am, commence hike at 9:25am. Meetup at 9:30am, commence hike at 10am. Hike will start promptly on time. Crowding in groups larger than 10 will not be allowed. If you are late it will be your responsibility to catch up with the group.
- Arriving Late. Please look up the location of the park the night before and allow yourself plenty of time to get there the morning of. We will not hold the group up waiting on people. If you arrive late you will not be able to join a later group, if that group is full (Limited to 10 people)
- Things to Bring/Must Haves: comfortable clothes, comfortable shoes (hiking shoes/boots or sneakers with good traction) a jacket, water and bug spray. It is important to hike in comfortable shoes whether those are hiking boots or tennis shoes. If you are wearing sneakers I wouldn’t recommend wearing your nicest ones as they will get dirty. Dress warm and layer up! You will also want to bring light snacks and a backpack to hold everything.I always recommend bringing an extra change of clothes, shoes and socks to keep in your car in case it is muddy. Additionally, a towel and wet wipes may be helpful.
- About Salt Lick Point Land and Water Reserve: Salt Lick Point Land and Water Reserve is a 600+ acre site owned by the city of Valmeyer. The reserve protects flag land forests with providing a critical habitat for unique hill praises and glades.
- What to Expect: The total hike should take about 3-4 hours and depending on the time you start you should wrap up anytime between 1-2pm. Each group will have a hike leader that will guide them throughout the trail. Throughout the hike the group will stop for photos and rest breaks. There is potable toilet halfway through the hike, but you may still want to stop and use the restroom prior to arriving. It is possible that some areas of the trail may be muddy and dirty. Please dress accordingly. The trail is one big loop and will take us back to where we first started. Once we start the hike you will not have the opportunity to go back to your car to we finish.
- The environment: These hikes are meant to be relaxing, therapeutic, but physically challenging. We encourage being adventurous and having fun but we also encourage safety and respect for others. Please keep your distance and respect everyones space.
- Weather: The forecast for Sunday is predicted right now at a high of 44 and low of 33. I would recommend layering up with at least three layers. The first layer you want to avoid cotton as cotton can you make you colder. Your outer layer should be a jacket that you can take off if you decide too once it warms up. I also recommend packing gloves, hat or ear warmers and dressing in two pairs of tall socks.
- Lunch: We offer lunch as ticket option when you register. We will go somewhere to eat lunch afterwards as a group as well. This is completely option but if you decide to join us you will want to bring money with you.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet every Sunday morning at a different location in the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.