Sunday Issa Vibe! Join us for hiking, melanin and brunch! Hiking is purely donation based. Any monetary amount donated goes to helping the organization with providing snacks, drinks, marketing, administration expenses and allowing us to push forward the #wehiketoo movement through weekly hikes! Donations can be made $Cashapp to $blackpeoplewhohike or here through the ticketing registration.
Brunch is catered by YojoyVegan and includes a plant based chicken and waffle sandwich. You have the option to register for Hiking + Brunch or just Hiking.
12oh7 Herbian Eatery is sponsoring this hike and will be providing complimentary pre-hike snacks.
*We strongly encourage you register early as there is only 40 tickets available and Registration closes Friday at midnight.
Continue reading for everything you need to know about our hike for Sunday!
- Our Hike: The trail we will be hiking is 4.9 mile loop that is rated moderate. The elevation gain is 452 feet. The hike should take about 3-3.5 hours with stops.
- Meet Up: 8:30am at Matson Hill Park. The exact meetup location will only be emailed out Saturday night to everyone that has registered. Please continue below to register.
- Agenda: Meetup 8:30am, Welcome and Intros 8:45am, Stretches and Group Photo 9:00am. Hiking 9:10am-12:45pm. The Hike will commence at 9:10am. If you are late it will be your responsibility to catch up with the group.
- Arriving Late. Please look up the location of the park the night before and allow yourself plenty of time to get there the morning of. We will not hold the group up waiting on people. If you arrive past 9:10 you will be responsible for catching up to the rest of the group.
- Things to Bring/Must Haves: comfortable clothes, comfortable shoes (hiking shoes/boots or sneakers with good traction) a jacket, water and bug spray. It is important to hike in comfortable shoes whether those are hiking boots or tennis shoes. If you are wearing sneakers I wouldn’t recommend wearing your nicest ones as they may get dirty. Dress warm and layer up! You will also want to bring light snacks and a backpack to hold everything.I always recommend bringing an extra change of clothes, shoes and socks to keep in your car in case it is muddy. Additionally, a towel and wet wipes may be helpful.
- About Matson Hill Park: Matson Hill Park is 475 acres of rugged, heavily forested parkland, which has become the area’s Number One hiking and biking destination. Offering more than 6 miles of natural surface trails, this historical property is situated in the “Daniel Boone Region” and is perfect for any outdoor getaway or retreat and open to the public to explore. Designed with limited outside development, the park reflects the natural surroundings found in the area during the time of Boone’s life. An interpretive area focusing on the Boone family heritage, including the Hays Home, is expected to open to the public in 2019. Design and Engineering of Phase 2 of Matson Hill Park is currently underway.
- What to Expect: The total hike should take about 3-3.5 hours and we should wrap up around 1pm.. Throughout the hike we will stop for photos and rest breaks. There may not be any restrooms on the trail so you will want to stop prior to arriving. Is it possible that some areas of the trail may be muddy and dirty. Please dress accordingly. The trail is one big loop and will take us back to where we first started. Once we start the hike you will not have the opportunity to go back to your car to we finish.
- The environment: These hikes are meant to be relaxing, therapeutic, but physically challenging. We encourage being adventurous and having fun but we also encourage safety and respect for others. On this particular hike we will have people of all ages and we welcome friendly dogs on a leash as well.
- Weather: The forecast for Sunday is predicted at a high of 64 and low of 49. I would recommend layering up with at least three layers. The first layer you want to avoid cotton as cotton can you make you colder. Your outer layer should be a jacket that you can take off if you decide too once it warms up. I also recommend packing gloves, hat or ear warmers and dressing in two pairs of tall socks.
- Lunch: We will go somewhere to eat lunch afterwards as a group. This is completely option but if you decide to join us you will want to bring money with you.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet every Sunday morning at a different location in the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.