BPWH is participating in #BLACKHIKERSWEEK! Our happiness comes from many places and hiking is one of them. Its that time again that we revel unapologetically in BLACK JOY and take up all of the outdoor space possible. This SATURDAY June 25th we will be hiking a 3 mile trail at Hawn State Park which is another gem tucked away within the state of Missouri. This park has luscious forest, flowing streams, ancient boulders and a sandstone canyon. Please be ready to experience black joy, capture the essence, and spread it to the world using the #BLACKHIKERSWEEK. Please take the most joyful pictures of you in the outdoors and let us all know why it is important for us to reclaim this space.
*breakfast is complimentary with registration.
- What to expect: We meet up at 9am to check in, (ALL attendees must check in). At 9:15 we will begin welcomes and introductions. At 9:30 we will begin stretches. The hike will begin promptly at 10:00.
- Registration: All attendees are required to register. Everything included with this hike is complementary, but donations are encouraged.
- What to wear/pack: water, breathable athletic clothes (later up, avoiding cotton with the first layer), a jacket or sweatshirt, a backpack to hold all of your belongings, hiking boots or shoes with good traction -NO VANS, a hat, a mask, Rain jacket or emergency poncho, water shoes (optional), Your favorite plant-based snack: fresh fruit, nuts, granola bars etc (optional as food will be provided)
- Location: Hawn State Park. Approximately 70 minute drive from downtown St. Louis. The exact location will be provided upon registering. Please look the location up the night before and allow yourself plenty of time to get there!
- Time: Meetup at 9am. If you are late it is your responsibility to catch up to the group. We will not hold the group up. The drive is far. Please plan accordingly with timing.
- Waivers: Everyone must sign a waiver. If you have not already signed BOTH our Covid Waiver and Liability Waiver please do so before arriving to help speed up the checkin process. Click here for the covid waiver https://forms.gle/ZueeExgTZGLK6H227 . Click here for the Liability waiver https://forms.gle/ynnxanLFjfJzgkr96 .
- Level of Expertise: This is a beginner to moderate hike however proper shoes are highly recommended. There are some areas that we will be hiking with slippery rock and shoes with good traction and ankle support are needed. No flat shoes such as vans.
- Social Distancing: *All participants must register. Walk ups will not be allowed. Space is very limited to ensure social distancing measures and masks are required. All participants will be required to sign COVID waivers
- Weather: This event is rain or shine. The weather is predicted to be sunny with a high of 95 and low of 74 degrees.
- Lunch: Lunch is catered and complimentary with registration.
- About Us: @blackpeoplewhohike was created to inspire people of color to step out of their comfort zones and get active outside! We meet up twice a month on Sunday mornings at different locations within the St. Louis area. Current Sunday Funday activities have included hiking, rock climbing, kayaking and hot yoga! Future Sunday Funday actives include bicycling, skiing and zip lining. We have new people that join each week who are new to these various activities and we welcome that! This group is all about new experiences! We are on Instagram at @blackpeoplewhohike. If you are not already following us, please do so here! @Blackpeoplewhohike You can also follow us on Facebook here @Blackpeoplewhohike !
@Blackpeoplewhohike is a group of friends and perspective friends who enjoy hiking and other activities together. It is not a professional event planning or guide service that assumes any responsibility for your safety.
Missouri State Parks and Historic Sites
12096 Park Dr
Ste. Genevieve, Missouri 63670, United States (US)
Date and Time
Sat, Jun 25, 2022, 9:00 am - 1:30 pm CT